YT-1000 ramp

YT-1000 ramp

Sunday 23 September 2012

Introduction

Hi, my name is Gattaca. Since I was small I've loved Science Fiction movies and Sci-Fi art books. 


I grew up watching Star Trek, Space 1999 and the Fabulous Thunderbirds. One of the aspects of these and many other shows and movies was my fascination with the space ships and the sets. 

In 1977 my family went to see Star Wars, my younger brother and I were blown away. I remember seeing a TV documentary on the making of Star Wars shortly after the movie came out and was amazed at how it was all done. Later my brother and I made some Y-wing bombers out of toilet paper rolls and set about to re-create the trench run.
I've always collected sci-fi books and movies, but model making was not really on my radar until I moved away with my wife. We had sold our house where, in my garage, I was more into fixing up my MGB and building a race car for the local track.


I started out with a 1977 and a 1980 Firebird.














Safety first!
The roll cage was a kit but it was only half of what was needed. I had to build the rest. 



The finished car at the track. I painted it based on a colour scheme used by Dale Earnhardt.









In late 2003 I quit my job and moved to another city in another part of the country. We could not afford a house right away and I needed to keep busy with some kind of hobby, so I started building models on the kitchen table of our apartment. A couple years later we bought a condo and I built this little work area in the den.






At first it was model warplane kits but I found I needed a bigger challenge.










I found some plans for a model ship and set about to build it. It's my first and so far only attempt at scratch building a model like this. It took me almost a year of off and on building. I never did much building in the summer so I didn't get much done during those months.







Then later a scratch built model Tank from a PS3 video game I used to play called Warhawk.












A major project I completed is my YT-1000. It's an ambitious scratch build of a precursor to the YT-1300 line of Corellian Freighters, a model line of which the famous Millennium Falcon belongs to. Please visit the build sections of this project. Here are some photo's of the nearly completed model.


The top view.
 Bottom view.
And a side view.














I started this Blog to share my projects with my friends and family, and anyone else that has an interest in the kinds of things I'm doing. I've been inspired by the work of so many others that I thought I'd pass on my experiences and knowledge in hopes that someone will get excited and build stuff too.






Please visit my other posts to see what I've been up to.



I hope you enjoy your visit.