YT-1000 ramp

YT-1000 ramp

Thursday 27 December 2012

YT-1000 Part 6 Loading Ramp and Main Corridor

I decided to include the loading ramp on this model since it will be parked and it only makes sense to have the ramp in use. And also because I got tired of making armor plates. I needed something a bit more fun. I spent most of my Christmas holidays working on this, maybe 5 days worth of work.


 I used my Haynes manual for the Falcon to get an idea of height and angle of the ramp. Then mocked it up with sheet styrene until it looked right.
 Once I was happy with it, I made the ramp from ribbed styrene, (corrugated roof), and some channeling.
 I added a temporary wedge under the ramp so the hydraulic actuators would be installed at the correct angle. Since I have no drawings of this, and this is not the Falcon, I'm free to make it ups as I please. I'm using some of my airplane and tank  parts for the actuators and other details.


 Once I had the ramp on the go, I had to cut out the underside of the model.
 Lots of test fitting to make sure everything is going together right.
 I also had to cut into the main hull.
 Looking pretty good so far.
 The ramp corridor was also built as you will be able to see into the ship. Those black rings will be lights later, however they look huge, I think I'll remove them and find something smaller


 Fitted into place.
 The whole set up comes apart to make it possible to paint later. I also don't want to damage it as I work on the main body of the ship.
 Adding some armor plates and other details to the outer hull and bottom of the ramp.