YT-1000 ramp

YT-1000 ramp

Wednesday 15 March 2017

Star Wars U Wing part 2

So the aluminum core worked great, it really stiffened up the model. I bought a piece of 2mm aluminum and asked for a very flat piece. I traced the template onto the aluminum and used a fine tooth bandsaw to cut about 5mm outside of the line. I then placed the aluminum on my router template using some small wood screws. The trim router cut the aluminum with ease. 




I used a spray contact cement to glue the styrene to the aluminum. The wooden skewers keep the two surfaces from contacting each other. Once I'm sure the two are perfectly aligned I remove some of the skewers from the middle and press the surface together. I then remove more skewers as I move outward.













 Panel lines were scribed onto the cockpit section. 
 Which was then shaped using internal gussets to help attain the proper angles.

 The sides of the upper part of the cockpit were made using small pieces and strips, rather than cutting the windows out. If I had a nice laser cutter, this would be a breeze.
And this is where I am now.















The next step is to make the rear cooling fins so I can finish the rear panel sections.
I found this fantastic image online which was fortunate because I had no idea what the lower rear section looked like.



Click here to go to part 3